Friday, June 29, 2012

Flowcharts are like a maze


Summer Reading Flowchart


As a visual learner, I love looking at infographics and the wealth of information contained in a simple image. So after looking through this visual flowchart, I was reminded of my first computer class in JR High (yes, I'm from the pre-middle school generation). I was in ninth grade and excited about taking my first computer class. I had seen the cool pictures my friends were making in their computer class like the Christmas Tree and this bunny.



Naturally, I never thought about the time or process involved in getting these "cool" images. So, when I started my computer class and found out that I had to learn programming. I was bummed. I just wanted to go in, type a few lines and create some awesome pictures. I really didn't care about typing numbers and coordinates to create the image I wanted. I did stay in the class, but the only thing I really remember was learning the history of the computer and creating flowcharts. Flowcharts - those wonderful cause and effect visuals that made you feel like you were wandering through a maze with the hope of finding the end. If you were successful in your flowchart creation, it was suppose to help you with computer programming. Personally, I never did comprehend that whole process, but we had a special flowchart template (that was kind of cool) to draw the various box shapes and lines.



After that first computer class, I veered away from the world of technology until it became a little more user-friendly. Today, I can create cool graphics and comics with a simple drag and drop feature built in to the program. I know my fun drag & drop programs have hidden complex coding that make them function and I admire the people who do that kind of work. Luckily, we don't all have to know programming to produce some cool projects.



No comments:

Post a Comment