Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Words for 2013

photo credit: Marwa Morgan via photopin cc
Last year I wrote an article, New Year's Resolution?, discussing the concept of choosing a single word to guide your tasks, goals and decisions throughout the year.  Upon reflection, I find that my word shifted to a phrase for the year - "It is what is it."  Life was in an upheaval with a new position at work and home remodeling that I just had to take the year in stride.  I found many situations and circumstances were out of my control, so I just started saying, "It is what it is."

Over the Christmas break, I began thinking about the upcoming year.  I wanted to do another word for the year, but just didn't know what it would be.  I began brainstorming my list of potential words -
  • by yourself
  • balance
  • dream
  • create
  • inspire
  • imagine
  • sacrifice
  • let enough be enough - I don't remember where or why this one came to mind

I liked the word create, but I didn't feel like it was enough, so I procrastinated.  The new year started and I was still wordless.  I decided to do what any good wordless wonder would, I searched the internet for inspiration.  I found several sites that focus on a single word for the year like brave, surrender, cherish, ask, capture and open.  In my search, I also stumbled upon a blog post, My 3 Words for 2013, by Chris Brogan, CEO of Human Business Works.  Chris chooses 3 words each year to help him focus on his goals and efforts.  He explains that these three words should, "...sum up what you want to work actionably on changing/improving in the coming year."  Naturally, you want to keep your words positive and they should represent the big picture for the year.  Chris uses either a word or the name of a person that represents his bigger picture for the year.

Photo credit:  http://gutsygirls.net/gygsns2/pages/c-and-v-page
After a little more reflection on my search results and the article by Chris, I found the words create and push coming to the top of my list.  I like create because I have technology and craft items I want to create throughout the upcoming year.  I also like create because you have to think and imagine to produce the product you are creating.  However, I also have some projects I started creating last year that I really would like to complete or at least get polished.  So, the word push came to mind.  At first I didn't like that word push because it reminded me of woman giving birth and the doctor telling her to push.  Not a great image for my mind.  But the more I thought about these 2 words, create and push, I decided they really do belong together.  As you begin the process of creating, you experience joy and excitement in the possibilities of this new creation.  However, as you continue in the creation process, you get worn out and tired.  You are just ready for it to be finished.  For some, myself included, it is easier to just stop and not finish the work on your creation.  That is where the push comes in to play.  You do have to push yourself to make it to the finish and sometimes that can be a stressful and painful process.  So, despite my visual image associated with the word push, I have decided to Create and Push through this year.
photo credit:  Melodi2 via Morgue Files

What about you?  If you had to select a word (or 2 or 3) to "...sum up what you want to work actionably on changing/improving in the coming year", what would you choose?







No comments:

Post a Comment