Upcoming Workshops through Essdack
April 2, 2013 - Workshop on eBooks & how to make them
May 29-31, 2013 - Wind Energy Workshop (based on a STEM Initiative)
You will spend the 3 days building wind turbines.
July 17-19, 2013 - Podstock
A tech integration conference for anyone interested in learning more about technology.
COOL Furniture - We tried out a standing table and Hokki Chairs. The table is great for having small group conversations or getting up and working on the laptop or iPad. The chairs have a curved bottom so students can rock and move in their seats. Great for those antsy kiddos & adults.
EssayTagger - Common Core Rubric Creation Tool (no registration or login required)
You can print, save as a pdf or download any rubric you create.
tellagami - Great digital storytelling tool available on the iPod and iPad. You insert your own background images, create your avatar and record your story.
- What I did on my Summer Vacation
- Explain a historical image
- Give background on a historical figure
- Book report using the setting as the background image
- Create a real-world math problem
Makey Makey - this one you just have to see to understand
MaKey MaKey - An Invention Kit for Everyone from jay silver on Vimeo.
Six Strike Copyright Law
So, this was new to me, but basically it is a warning system for people who are downloading from sites with pirated materials. Some Internet Service Providers are implementing this process already. We looked at a few sites that had samples of the alert messages and a little more information about Six Strike Copyright Law. During our discussion, we questioned how this would impact schools, but I don't think we'll really know until this gets into full implementation.
If you want to know more, check out these sites:
- Here's what an actual "six strikes" copyright alert looks like
- Should you fear the 'six strikes' anti-piracy rule?
- A Six-Strike Rule for Internet Piracy
Alternate Book Reports
- 10 great 21st century book report ideas - blog post by Glenn Weibe
- 10 Technology Enhanced Alternatives to Book Reports
- Create a book trailer - make a QR code for the trailer and put the QR code inside the book in the library for other students
- Make an avatar of what the character(s) look like to you and then put them in your book trailer or use them to create a movie poster for your book - use faceyourmanga to create your avatar
- Create a book blurb comic strip
- Create an infographic using piktochart
At the end of the day, we had a Skype presentation on creating infographics with powerpoint (or any slideshow program). However, I will write this up later as a separate blog post.
Hokki Chairs - http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-cTT2BRi4JcE/UAPV-pZVmXI/AAAAAAAAAG8/Z-xSQCk6jRc/s1600/hokkigroup.JPG
Books - http://www.talkshoe.com/custom/images/icons/TC-17371-MainIcon.png
Rabbits - http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-zppEBOL4tnc/TZSsuIbWapI/AAAAAAAABdw/RExmQGZ8eGg/s1600/rabbits+rabbit+rabbit.jpg